The smallest village in the town of Rüthen was first mentioned in 1282, when the nobleman Konrad von Rüdenberg listed Detmarus Schulte, called von Wekede, and Johannes de Wekede as witnesses in a document. Since the 16th century, the village has not seen any further development in terms of the number of farmsteads, which is probably due to the special topography of the village. Because the here dominating
Pöppelschetal, which dominates here, created a natural narrowness, which has caused the location and size of the village to remain almost unchanged over the centuries.
The nevertheless lasting independence of this small village is also documented by the chapel built in 1666, which is dedicated to St. Sebastian and represents the oldest small church building in the Rüthen area. The attributes of the chapel patron and the symbol for the Pöppelsche therefore became heraldic components of the village coat of arms in 1992.
Further information under: https://www.h-n-w.de/die-drei-doerfer/weickede/geschichte/