Altitude about 360-440 m above sea level
Public facilities: Schützenhalle, kindergarten, sports field.
The origin and development of the village Altenrüthen have been mainly influenced by the ecclesiastical circumstances. The "older" Rüthen is mentioned as early as 836 as Ruothino in the Corvey traditions. In Carolingian times it was the main parish for the Christianization of the Haarstrang and Möhnetal valleys with soon 12 daughter parishes, which later developed into a large-scale parish. The original name was then transferred in 1200 to the new town settlement founded about 2 km east of the village.
The imposing baroque parish church of SS. Gervasius and Protasius from 1669 houses, among other things, a late Romanesque cross, which was the destination of pilgrims and pilgrimages for centuries. The lower part of the church tower is over 1,000 years old and is said to have been deliberately erected over an ancient Germanic sacrificial site at the time. Since 1072, this church and its income had been assigned to the Benedictine monastery Grafschaft by the Archbishop of Cologne Anno, which is why the spiritual administration and care of the parish of Altenrüthen was also carried out by its monks at times. These historical ties are still reflected in the coat of arms of the village.
Today, tradition plays an important role in Altenrüthen. For example, the shooting club can look back on a long tradition with its festivities and rituals. An exact date of foundation is not known to the historians, but it is proven that the shooting in Altenrüthen has already existed for more than 500 years.
Further information at: http://www.altenruethen.com