The first written mention of Miste in 1191 is not undisputed, since the document reconstruction of 1651 is partly considered as not authentic. However, the mention of the knight Erpo von Miste in a document of 1238 by the Rüthen burgomaster Johann von Padberg is certain. For this reason the traditional knightly eagle coat of arms was adopted as the village coat of arms at the end of the 20th century.
For centuries the large and wooded Mister Mark belonged to the village, which from about 1520 on became the most important part of the Rüthen town's district, which also included the inhabitants of the village as a so-called "town village" in its legal and political rights. The town also included the inhabitants of the village as a so-called town village in its legal and subject association.
According to the results of archaeological research, the first church in Meiste was built around 1200, of which the Romanesque tower has been preserved. After temporary affiliation to the parish of Altenrüthen, the master church became the center of its own parish again from 1518. In 1735 a new nave was built, which in 1910 was painted in the neo-Baroque style, while the rest of the furnishings date back to the 18th century. For moralizing reasons, the ancient name Miste was officially replaced by Meiste in 1911.
For more than 50 years, a medium-sized wood-processing company has developed outstanding economic significance for the village as well as for the Rüthen area.