The Augustinian convent of St. Margaretha in Rüthen was founded around 1480 and existed until 1734, when Ursulines settled there from 1749 to 1772. In the village, the building is therefore called the Ursuline convent today.
In addition to prayer, the Augustinian nun s engaged in textile production and devoted themselves to the education of girls in Rüthen. In 1733 a merger with the Odacker con vent was planned but not carried out. After a fire some time years later the settlement was abandoned. In 1749 Ursulines, originally from Dorsten, settled on the site. They also had the baroque building, which still exists today, erected. However, the community could not survive and the sisters returned to Dorsten as early as 1772.